Piedmont Park is a city park in Atlanta, Georgia, about a mile northeast of Downtown and halfway between the Midtown and Virginia Highland neighborhoods. It offers a wonderful day of activities and relaxation for people of all ages. You can enjoy a walk or jog on the trails, grab a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants, play some games at the playground, or just relax on the lawn. There are also several events that take place in the park throughout the year, so be sure to check out the event calendar before your visit. No matter what you choose to do, you’re sure to have a great time at Piedmont Park!
Dr. Benjamin Walker formerly owned the land, which he utilized as an out-of-town gentleman’s farm and residence. In 1887, he sold the property to the Gentlemen’s Driving Club (later renamed the Piedmont Driving Club), who sought to build an exclusive club and racetrack for horse enthusiasts. The Piedmont Exposition Company, founded by prominent Atlantan Charles A. Collier, agreed to rent the site to the Driving Club for fairs and expositions, and the park was later named for them.
During the next seventeen years, Piedmont Park hosted a number of expositions and fairs, the most notable of which were the Piedmont Exposition of 1887 and the Cotton States and International Exposition of 1895. The Piedmont Exposition took place in the Piedmont region of the United States. Its goal was to promote the region’s economic and agricultural prowess. A World’s Fair was held at the Cotton States and International Exposition. This expo had a bigger goal than the last one: to showcase all Southern cotton states while encouraging good relations and trade with the rest of the world. The Cotton States and International Exposition lasted 100 days, attracted 800,000 visitors, and had 6,000 exhibitors.
The owners of Piedmont Park proposed selling it to the city of Atlanta in 1887 and again in 1894. This purchase was difficult to sell for a variety of reasons, including the park’s perceived distance from the city, despite the land’s reasonable price. Today, it would be difficult to imagine Atlanta without Piedmont Park. The park has been a central gathering place for the city’s residents and visitors for over 130 years.
Things to do in Piedmont Park
As mentioned, there are plenty of things to do at Piedmont Park. A few highlights include:
Jogging or walking on the trails: There are over 185 acres of trails in Piedmont Park, so you can definitely get your steps in!
- Grabbing a bite to eat – There are several restaurants located in the park, including a few food trucks. You can also bring your food and enjoy a picnic lunch.
- Playing sports – There are plenty of places to play sports, including tennis courts, a basketball court, and a golf course.
- Checking out the views – There are several scenic spots in the park, including a lake and an overlook.
- Playing at the playground – A playground is a great place for kids to burn off some energy.
- Going to the dog park – The park has a designated area for dogs, so your furry friend can join in on the fun, too!
- Relaxing on the lawn – If you just want to relax and take in the sights and sounds of the park, there are plenty of places to do so.
- Attending an event – The park hosts a variety of events throughout the year, from music festivals to movie screenings. Check out the event calendar on the park’s website to see what’s coming up.
- Picnic – Piedmont Park is a great place to have a picnic. You can bring your own food or purchase it from one of the vendors in the park. There are also several restaurants that will cater your picnic for you.
- Frisbee – Frisbee is a great game to play at Piedmont Park. There is plenty of open space to throw the disc around.
- Hiking – If you’re looking for a more strenuous activity, you can go hiking on one of the park’s trails.
- Volleyball – Volleyball is a fun game with friends at Piedmont Park. There are several places in the park where you can set up a net and play.
- Fishing – Fishing is another popular activity at Piedmont Park. There is a lake in the park where you can try your luck at catching a fish.
- Biking – Biking is a great way to explore Piedmont Park. There are several miles of trails that wind through the park. You can bring your own bike or rent one from the park.
There are plenty of things to do at Piedmont Park, so be sure to add it to your list of places to visit in Atlanta!
Have a fun-filled day at Piedmont Park Today!
Atlanta, Georgia, is home to many beautiful parks, but one of the most popular is Piedmont Park. The park is located in the heart of the city and is a great place to spend a day or afternoon. There are plenty of things to do in Piedmont Park, so you’ll find something that appeals to you. If you’re planning a visit to Atlanta, be sure to add Piedmont Park to your list of places to see!